Skip to main content

Homesick :/

Mom called it. After the excitement of being in a new place and making friends, I miss home. I miss the effortless enjoyment of Emily's company. I miss my friends, the fall leaves, Olive. I miss my weekly talks with Mom and Pierre
That has been hitting me pretty hard lately, although I don't mean to suggest there haven't been plenty of bright spots, too. I'm still finding my way at work, and trying to find/create a community of friends here that I can do things like climb with. Sometimes it seems like a lot of the Peruvians I meet want to go to malls and clubs, which isn't really my scene :/ So I'm going to keep looking around for friend prospects. This may sound confusing because I have my best friend Jeff with me, but we realized a while ago that we needed our own space for various reasons, including being able to speak more Spanish.
We are still working at Hipolito, although this week we were asked to help out with a quality control project involving another clinical trial that also studies tuberculosis but in the hospital context and on the screening/diagnosis side rather than treatment. We were happy to learn more about what seemed like a really cool study, and we were also excited by the prospect of getting to explore the hospital more. The socios en salud office is tucked away in a corner of the hospital grounds and we haven't actually spent much time in the various wings of the main building or in the emergency department. So it was extremely interesting to get to roam around, mapping the different units, the consult services, operating rooms, and the rest. Our job is more or less to try to get a grasp of patient flow in the hospital to try to make sure all potential study participants are seen by the field workers. It turns out it can be tricky to know for sure where patients go or where they come from in a busy public hospital that uses all paper charts! So that's been a fun short-term project to help out with, especially since we've gotten to give a lot of input. It's been nice to learn about how the hospital works and to feel valued by the quality control coordinator. Being back in a hospital also made me realize how much I miss talking to patients and makes me excited to organize some clinical rotations while I'm here.
Another win on the work front is that at a Medecins Sans Frontieres meeting the Socios director presented Jeff and my patient adherence data graphs that we had spent a lot of time on. A modest contribution, but definitely worth a high-five!
Some other highlights of the last few weeks:
-walking around the magic water show last night in downtown - I think it holds the record for biggest water-based light show in the world
-putting up decorations in my room to make it homier, including a bunch of pictures from Rochester that Em sent me :)
-practicing soccer juggling with Jeff. My goal is to master the around-the-world move (dang Jeff got it on like his second try!)
-buying myself a cajon as an early bday present (basically a Peruvian wooden box that sounds like a drum set)
-going to the theater to see a comedy called Toc Toc about 6 patients with various forms of OCD (despite not quite understanding all of the jokes, it was definitely funny!)
-dressing up as Mario along with Jeff as Luigi for Halloween (we got lots of smiles on the bus ride to a friend's house)
-walking around my neighborhood, which is such a nice and quiet haven from a sometimes exhaustingly loud city (although the tranquility was momentarily disrupted for a few hours when a neighbor celebrated her birthday with a kick-ass live band that played salsa and cumbia late into a Monday night)
-enjoying murder mysteries (not my usual cup of tea) in Spanish, one a tv show on Netflix and another a book that Hansel lent me (his all-time fave!)

Speaking of tea, I'm enjoying a nice cup of mate de coca tea right now, made from some leaves I brought back from Huaraz. It tastes like artichokes in the best possible way :)

Comments

  1. Ah Andre... Just love this post, and the way you express your emotions! Being homesick is normal and good. Means you appreciate your roots and your life in Rochester and will be happy to return once your experience in Peru is up. All of the positives made me smile. Hooray for you and Happy 26th! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Will and Antoinette visit!

This week has gone by in a blur! Early on Monday morning our close friends Will and Antoinette arrived from the airport. Although I felt torn between wanting to do a good job at work this week and wanting to catch up with my friends, I opted not to go to the hospital on Monday and instead volunteer as a Lima tour guide :) We decided to visit the buffet restaurant Jeff and I had really liked back in September to introduce our newcomers to some of the greatest hits of Peruvian cuisine. Jeff and I have sometimes chuckled at most Peruvians' over-zealous insistence that their food is the best in the world (we don't agree), but really it is quite good and I was excited to tell my friends about some of the dishes we've come to appreciate. To work up our appetite, first we walked around the historic center which is an area I almost never visit because it's busy and far from Surco. We admired the colonial architecture and did a tour of a beautiful 16th century church/monastery ...

Cusco is doooope

It’s been such a long time since I posted any kind of update! With so much to catch up on, I think I’ll focus on some of the golden moments of the last month or so :) I got to meet and chat uninterrupted for a surprisingly long time with a founder of Partners in Health, Dr. Farmer, who visited Lima for the inauguration of a new TB screening program. I say surprising because it seemed all of Lima wanted to get his attention, and yet he found it important enough to sit and talk with a group of us volunteers on a long bus ride from the outskirts of the city back to the center. In this case I didn’t mind the traffic! An opportunity to work as research staff fo an HIV-related project opened up for Jeff and I from our chance encounter with a seasoned Johns Hopkins doctor. We’re still getting things organized to start, but we’re excited to potentially have more hands-on time with patients. Meanwhile we’re also still working on our independent research project on TB adherence. We didn’t...